Skip to content

NHS Complaints Advocacy

What is NHS Complaints Advocacy?

KCALC delivers the NHS Complaints Advocacy service in Kirklees. This service is free. We assist clients who wish to make a complaint to the NHS about their medical services or care. We help them to put their case so that the NHS addresses issues of concern. We aim to get an acknowledgement from NHS services that there has been an issue, an apology for patients and a change in practice so that problems do not recur.

We support clients at local resolution meetings and, where necessary, assist them to refer matters to NHS England or the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

KCALC cannot investigate any complaints ourselves- we will help you to make a complaint and the NHS service will carry out the investigation. We are not medically qualified and cannot give medical advice.

To contact our service please call 01924 868145. Please leave a message and someone will get back to you as soon as possible. We are able to offer appointments at both our Huddersfield and Dewsbury offices. Our service is free.

Making a Complaint – Help Yourself

If you wish to make a complaint about an NHS service you should submit this, in writing, to the service you are complaining about. This document gives addresses for the main NHS services in Kirklees.

This document is a template which you can use to make a complaint. You need to add your own details.

We also have some useful tips and guidance for making a complaint which should help you

Once you have made your complaint the NHS service should then engage with you in a “local resolution process”. They might respond to your complaint in writing or may ask you to attend a “local resolution meeting” to discuss your complaint with staff from the service.

If you get to the end of the local resolution process and you do not feel that your issue has been addressed appropriately you can refer the matter to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. We would suggest that you contact us before doing that.

If you feel that the service has not carried out the complaints procedure properly and fairly then you can refer this to NHS England. We would suggest that you contact us before doing that.

Accessing Your Medical Records

You have the right to access your medical records under the Data Protection Act 1998. It may take up to 40 days for you to receive your medical records after the request and there may be a charge for them to be released.

This document is a template for you to request a copy of your medical records.

Further Information

You may also get help and advice from:

Useful Documents


Was this page helpful?