Skip to content

EU Settlement Scheme

Further Information

The EU Settlement Scheme is now closed. After this date any EU citizen in the UK who does not have settled or pre-settled status is in the UK unlawfully and has no status. Anyone who has made an application before that date will be issued with a “certificate of application” which should protect their rights during that time. There will be no extension to the scheme.

The government has indicated that benefits will not be cut off for people who have not yet made an application and nor will any action be taken against them in the 28 days after the end of June but this may only apply to people with ongoing claims/tenancies/jobs/healthcare issues, etc. and not those applying for new ones.  Although the government will not be taking action these people do not have any legal status in the UK. The government will be issuing letters to people on their database warning them about this.  There have been no guarantees that no action will be taken against people after the end of the additional 28 days.

Late applications can be made to the scheme, even after the 28 day period, but applicants need to have a good reason why they did not apply before the end of June – there is every indication that the Home Office will be understanding about these reasons but obviously we cannot be certain about what reasons they will accept..

What is the European Settlement Scheme?

The EUSS allows EU/Swiss and EAA nationals to apply for settled status to stay in the UK without any immigration limits.

If you are living in the UK before 31 December 2020 then you may be entitled to settled status.

Settled status allows you to:

  • Have access to welfare benefits, as appropriate.
  • NHS service for all medical needs
  • Access social housing where applicable
  • Access further education
  • Work in the UK
  • Have a UK bank account

Who can apply?

Anybody who is a EU/Swiss or EAA national or Switzerland can apply including partners, children and other family members from any country if they have arrived in the UK before 31st December 2020.


  • Prove your identity
  • Prove your residency – how long you have lived in the UK
  • Prove your suitability – have no serious criminal convictions

If you do not meet all the requirements for settled status then you may be granted pre-settled status which can later be turned into settled status.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you don’t think that you meet the criteria as we may still be able to help you apply.

The Migration and Resettlement Team at Kirklees Council has worked with colleagues to produce videos regarding the EUSS application process and support available in partnership with Kirklees Advice and Law Centre.

Video 1: Romanian

Video 2: Polish

Video 3: Hungarian


“There is not long left to apply to the European Union Settlement Scheme, so we want to make sure you have completed your application.”

“It is best to apply as soon as you can. Then you won’t have to worry about losing access to your rights as a resident here in the United Kingdom.”

“We know for some applicants the process may be more complicated, but don’t put it off. Kirklees Citizens Advice and Law Centre are here to help you with your application and their services are free.”

“You are not alone. Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme today or get the support you need to start your application.”

“Call Kirklees Citizens Advice and Law Centre on 0808 278 7896 or fill out the form on their website.” (

“KCALC will call you back with a translator if necessary, it may be easier to ask someone you know to call them for you and arrange this for you. Or you can fill the online form out in your preferred language. But don’t go into their office as appointments must be made over the phone.”

“If you have decided to call Kirklees home, we want to make sure can you continue to live and work here.”

“Search EU Settlement Scheme and apply today”. (Search EU Settlement Scheme)


You may be able to resolve your issue by using this free information.


Was this page helpful?